Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I'm looking to reduce the work force in Washington...

One of the major issues I have with our government does not directly deal with our politicians or bureaucrats, I have a problem with lobbyists. More specifically I have a problem with the number of lobbyists and the influence I believe they have over our politicians and bureaucrats.

Depending on what set of statistics you choose to believe, there are between 22,000 and 37,000 registered lobbyists in Washington D.C. Said another way, there are between 40 and 70 highly skilled, highly paid, highly motivated and highly persuasive professionals for each member of Congress.

Oh yeah, one more thing, they are highly funded. I have read estimates that lobbyists spend in excess of $2.2 Billion is spent by lobbyists annually to make their point and gain favor of our Senators and Representatives. That's obscene! Lobbyists spend more than $4 million for every member.

Talk about being ganged up on! Ask yourself this simple question, if you were faced with such odds, would you fare much better? I feel I am highly independent and am not easily swayed, but 40 to 1 against on the low end? Showering me with $4 million? I'm not sure I wouldn't crack either. How would you fare?

Now I do realize that the politicians have some blame to share here since they allowed the lobbyists in. But its on us to let them know, the lobbyists have to go.

So then, I think its time we figure out a way to increase the number of unemployed in Washington by 22,000 to 37,000 people. Sorry lobbyists, even if you are doing good, and I am positive some of you are, you need to go! It's for the good of the country.

God Bless America,
EG
erik@exchangeyourgovernment.com

No comments: